Thursday 5 February 2009


This is literally going to be the shortest blog post of ALLLLL TIIIIIME (well of my time anyway) just because I have been focusing primarily on being useless and doing nothing -- although I feel I have been accomplishing those tasks admirably. 

First and foremost, I would like to issue a formal apology to the British educational system in general, and to Rebecca Lehrman specifically. She is quite upset that I have been smack-talking the British educational system, what with my "I never have anything to doooo, they never assign me annyyyything" (I feel like I must be extra-whiny over here, which should be a pleasant surprise to my sounding board back home! something to look forward to!). I must emphasize: it is simply my unique set of circumstances making me so slovenly. Real students (including year-long study abroaders) actually take exams, have to do readings, do presentations, and so on. However, because I am only here for a semester, and because I entered into classes that all are based on previous information, the professors understand I know jack squat and cannot possibly be expected to take the exam with everyone else... and so I just have to write papers... and so I don't have to do the readings. So, England, I am sorry. Your universities are difficult. Please forgive me.

Well besides that I have been doing jack SQUAT. I did get to sponge off someone else cooking for me for a change with a DELISH dinner with some pallies on Friday night of.... you can't handle this fabulous combination... fajitas (FAJITAS!!), potatoes, and crepes. We aim to create a tiny United Nations, on the table, with every meal we (they) cook. But I did continue with my deal and I washed the dishes, so everyone can rest easy.

Sunday was, of course, the Superbowl. This has got to be the most unique Superbowl experience I have ever had. A little background: Sunday night here, it started to snow. And when I say snow, I mean SNOW. Sticking immediately, winter wonderland, we were literally singing Christmas carols. It was very attractive. So we hop on over to the Waterfront Bar to celebrate AMERICAN DAY with their American food (literally the most ... saw like hot dog I have ever eaten. Amazing) and overly enthusiastic English students as well. And McKenzie, seven beers in by the time we arrived and feeling GREAT! So, we snuggle into a booth, Jenny and I practice for our upcoming album (release date TBD), and cheer wildly when the game started here (around 11:30). Whilst this is occurring, the snow outside is going insaaane. This bar overlooks the water (one could say it is in front of the water), and there was so much snow you couldn't even see the other side. INSAAAANE. Around midnight we decide to blow that joint and head on back, walking eagerly outside to catch the night bus back... to find out that London decided the road conditions were too treacherous for the buses! ...and the tube had closed. I must emphasize this point: the buses didn't even stop running when the BLITZ was occurring. But just because there was a little bit (all right a TON) of snow on the ground, they had no plows apparently, and this was the most snow London had seen in eighteen years, they must shut down the BUSES?! 

So yes, you guessed it. We trudged, forty minutes, in the snow, at midnight, back to our dorm. It was actually more thrilling than you could imagine (and more exciting than actual sporting activity, I have found). The snow did make everything look precious, and I do believe Dickens popped up at one point to say Cheerio! However, I officially loathe the Brits in the snow. They think it's fun to throw snowballs at strangers... and that stranger was ALWAYS me. I would be with three other friends, but no. snowball at my head. Literally twenty thousand times. One time a lad threw a snowball at my bum region and made a rude remark... made me feel like I was home again.

So next day, London is in chaos. No one can get anywhere, as the Tube was flooded and the buses too scared, classes canceled, absolute chaos and snowmen popping up everywhere. It was a lovely day of frolicking in the snow, however! ...although looking at that picture at the top, I feel like that is the EPITOME of the K10 run. Oh GOD. 10 run in the snow. gosh. 

Beyond that, very little. Went to the Imperial War Museum yesterday (short walk from my hall and very interesting... a little masculine and a lot depressing, but a good experience overall). Class again today and tomorrow, then a FABULOUS weekend of SPRING AWAKENING and bringing out my amazing new DRESS. try not to drool, all.


and yes I know this was longer than I thought. and less inside jokey than usual. But I feel the picture at the top counts for five inside jokes at LEAST.

No comments:

Post a Comment