Friday 10 April 2009

AMSTERDAM!

All right my children, so we have finished with Belgium and are now in THE NETHERLANDS! (although technically I am in Germany right now... someone's a little sloooow with updating ie me so embarrassed blushing etc). So, WHERE SHALL I START.

We roll in Amsterdam, playa style because that's how we do (actually we have talked about gangs WAY more on this trip that I ever have in my life... uh oh I have to watch my speech because my grandma told me that she gave this address to my greataunts and greatuncles and so on). Anyway, we arrive at our hostel, and by our hostel I of COURSE mean the Shelter City Christian Hostel! Yes that's right. The Methajew, the Jew, and the Confused decided to stay in a Christian hostel. What can I say, I don't like skeezeballs, and it wasn't expensive. Also there was nightly evening prayer, and scary messages painted on the wall. It was an eye-opening experience. Most importantly, there was a kitty!! Jenny will tell you it had scary clouded eyes, but I thought it was loving. At least I'm not like Molly who gasps dramatically every time she sees an animal. I swear, a rat with the bubonic plague could scamper on to her shoe, and she would just go AWWWW! 

Anyway, we decide to roam around the city for a little while with Molly Tour Guide (again, no relation to Sean Tour Guide). We peek into a courtyard where only single, devout women are allowed to live (all my single ladies, all my single ladies). Very pretty. We also roam on down the Bloemenmarkt (teeheee), which is a floating flower market.... flowers flowers EVERYWHERE! where's my albatross? Of course that was also the infamous spot where MTG temporarily resigned and Jenny Tour Guide took over, in her best gangsta turned Brooklyn accent. Toooo funny.

We then meet up with Annie, our friend from KCL who was popping into Amsterdam after being in Italy for the week. We trek over to the Anne Frank House, which is the most simple house front overlooking a quiet canal... it's so strange to think about all that went on in there. I cannot IMAGINE not being able to go outside for TWO YEARS, and living in those tight quarters with so many people... finding happiness from putting up pictures on the bedroom wall, since the windows where blacked out... of course it would have been more sobering had there not been a three year old brat with his parents screaming through the house, with his infant sibling slobbering around everywhere. LAME. Please parents. contain. contain. 

Next day we decide to do it the Amstadam way and rent bikes to get around the city! As some of you may know, I am not the most coordinated or athletic person... and of course the last time I rode a bike was probably 9th grade. Pathetic. But, it went off (mostly) without a hitch!! (oooommg so last night we were with a tour group and a car was trying to get past us and this (American) guy got really angry and shouted at the car "EXCUSE ME. This is a tour group. You have to take an alternate route." I thought there was going to be a rumble. He's here to win, not here to make friends!) 

So, we have our bikes, MTG fearlessly leading, I'm holdin' down the back (paaarttaay central!). We bike down to the Van Gogh Museum, which ROBBED me of 15 euro, but was OH so worth it as it had Starry Night at the time... of course my mind kept flashing to that Boy Meets World episode. I'm pretty sure only Sean will understand that reference. Still amazing though. We spent the rest of the afternoon biking around, to the windmill in the city, down canals, to the Rembrandt house, etc etc etc. You have not lived until you have seen us STRUGGLE to get across the incline of the bridge.. wobbling all over the place, quite embarrassing and unladylike of us. Of course, that night was the night of THE COINCIDENCE, in which we are walking down the street at 11:30, stop in a random bakery, and RUN INTO OUR FRIENDS FROM BRUGES. Out of all the bakeries in all the towns in all the world. AAAH nooo I can't remember my second favorite part of any movie ever... my first favorite part in any movie ever is in Casablanca. The second is a mystery. sorry, that just veered off in a COMPLETELY strange direction.

all right, I feel like that was an abrupt round-up of Holland, but we alas only had about a day and a half there. We've been in Germany for about three days now, and have a few more to go before heading to Austria. It has certainly been an interesting trip, if only because I discovered that Molly is the BEST person to wake up in the morning ... she just smiles at you! Jenny, on the other hand, snarls at me with her eyes. I don't know how that is possible, but she does it. 

All right, next entry will be Germany... or at least Germany leading up to Munich. 

AND JENNY JUST REMEMBERED THE SECOND MOVIE!! I looove in Shrek, when Puss-in-Boots gets caught by the popo with catnip and he's like, "it's not mine, it's a friend's!" ahaahah

all right now I'm done.

1 comment:

  1. See, God, unhappy with how some particular humans treat other particular humans who love them, has decided it's the end of the world. And I think he's right.

    nice with the reference.

    ReplyDelete