Thursday 2 April 2009

BELGIUM

Bonjour mon petit chien, the day you have all anxiously been waiting for has arrived: I have embarked on my grand European tour! A marathon of European cities and towns, starting in northern Europe and ending up on the Med, rest assured that I will be poor, starving, and sleep-deprived by the end, but I will have had ze time of my liiiife (hopefully. it probably won't consist of Patrick Swayze lifting me over his head. but you never know I guess).

Anyway, I always end up rudely interrupting myself. After bidding adieu to my parents, who came to London for four days (and were upset that I only gave them five words in my last post, but SEE?! you two got a few sentences here!) I somehow crammed an entire month's worth of stuff in my suitcase -- and that's including twelve snack bags of chips, eight mini boxes of cereal, and two rolls of cookies. as the Pope says at communion, I brought yum yums! Then I trundled off to Brussels on Tuesday with the amazing Jennyfer and Moll-lay to start the marathon! 

By the way, before I get into this, I just want to clarify that you should expect to live vicariously through me with these posts. This is entirely for my own selfish benefit.

ANYWAY, our hostel was actually quite lovely -- the 2go4 Hostel may have had a weird name, but it was in a very nice location and we walked EVERYWHERE. We are big fans of saving as much money as possible, even if it means eating a baguette for lunch (and yes that was our lunch today. Also, I am SO confused and slightly angry with HSBC, to the point that I think I'm going to send them an angry email. How could it possibly have cost me $30 more than it should have to take 200 euros out of an ATM? Even considering the exchange rate, I have no idea where the extra $30 came from. Anyway, moving on). We've also had quite a menagerie of guests... the Happy Snorer who NEVER LEFT THE ROOM. Yes, I will admit we are currently doing a two hour siesta, but that's after leaving this morning at 9, a full day of stuff yesterday, and a month to go. Seriously, the H.S. NEVER left, and always was creepily just staring at his iPhone. We also had the Drunk French Canadians, one of whom decided to jump off the top bunk at five in the morning and spent the next half an hour saying "Oooow owwww." And of course the woman who stripped this morning in front of Jenny's face. 

Regardless, nice hostel, free hot drinks, and good location. After getting in late Tuesday night, we scurry out of the hostel early on Wednesday in order to fully succumb to the toursityness! And of course, our first step after the Grand Place (square surrounded by the Hotel Ville -- city hall, Brussels Museum, etc etc) is WAFFLES!! And let me tell you -- they were not bragging. I have yet to taste anything as delicious. Yes, I got the tourist one piled high with strawberries and chocolate, but my GOD it was amazing. And right around the corner from the national symbol of Belgium -- and I wish I were kidding about this -- the Manneken Pis, "The Little Pissing Boy."  My hand to god this is the national symbol, and I could tell you EVERYTHING about him, including that he was cast in the 17th century and there are many legends about why there is a statue of him, and he has over 700 costumes that various countries have made. Unfortunately for the US costumes there is a "Northerner" costume from the "Secession War." Why don't you just call it the War of Southern Stubbornness, huh?! damn yankee supporters. no worries, he has his own website, google him.

continuing on with our touristness, we wandered around the old section of Brussels and wound our way to the Jeanneke Pis which -- you guessed it -- is the little girl pissing! Of course some feminists back in the 80s got angry and so they put her up. She's a little obscene, though, all squatting. I don't know. Another fun fact, Manneken can also pee beer and does so on special occasions. THAT is a good party trick. So after our walk, lunch (FRITES MAIS OUI. I wonder when Fort is going to get angry with my French usage), the Ancient Art Museum, Molly falling asleep in a fountain for an hour, and a dinner of pitaaaas (they really are obsessed with pitas), we scamper back to the hostel for a few hours so I can do my phone interview. Stressful half hour trying to find out how to do it, BUT I found some magnums (ice cream not condoms -- continuing with my theme of I BROUGHT YUM YUMS!) so we were all happy. Especially as we then went to Delirium Bar, which I highly recommend to anyone going to Brussels. Fun atmosphere, and over 2000 beers to pick from -- and some that taste like NOT BEER which is AMAZING!

More importantly, we also made some friends -- including members of the Austrian Parliament who were in Brussels for a conference -- and some Danes (not Denmarkians as I may have said) who were struck by our beauty on their way to the toilet and had to speak to us. After some ribbing from them about our accents, one decides to introduce himself and I faithfully shall recall the transcript for you. Keep in mind that they are Scandinavian, as am I: 

(introducing himself around the circle and shaking hands): "Hello, I am Christian."
"Hi, I'm Molly."
"Christian."
"Jenny."
"Christian."
"Kristen."
"...yes?"
"no, I am Kristen."
"What?"
"My NAME is KRISTEN."
"....."
"I have Swedish ancestors so I have a Swedish name"
"...."
"Kristen... my name... is Kristen..."
"Oh, so your parents are from Sweden but you are American?"
"Eh, close enough."

aaaand scene. I don't think he EVER understood me, to be honest.


NEXT DAY! Thursday, again we left bright and early to take in the city (and get our eurail passes validated... who's ready for 30+ hours of train travel??!). Royal Park and Palace (eh), flea market (I am often in the market for African tribal masks, used spoons, and dirty shoes, so it was perfect for me), Brussels Museum, little bit of shopping, and here we are... resting up before dinner and going out. 

I will say this for Brussels: WEIRD city. It's the oddest mix of modern, ugly buildings, and gorgeous cobblestone streets. I met some lovely people, though, and had some AMAZING food to top it off. I still firmly believe most major cities are the same, so I'm excited to get to Bruges tomorrow to see the quintessential town. The guidebook said "Bruges can't help being so cute" (maybe), and I can't wait to see if it's true! And to see how many days I can continue on by eating only a baguette for lunch. Mmmm good health.

1 comment:

  1. so i did read that whole thing and i must say i can no longer read your blogs. aside from being interesting, i tend to be angrily jealous which can't be good for me. therefore, i am officially banning myself from kristenuk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete