Sunday 12 April 2009

GERMANY part I.

Guten taaag (possibly. it's actually amazingish, we have all been picking up Germans like pros... I mean I already knew how to say 'I am a butterfly' in German, but I know how to say "ascending into heaven" - himmelfahrt. hahahaha. or it means something like that. I'm not actually sure. I know that himmel means heaven and all the portraits that have Jesus going into heaven say Christo Himmelfahrt, so I'm assuming. but you know what assuming does.)

SO. We're in Germany. We have left the Netherlands, after a painful train ride... not physically painful, but we wanted to leave at 10:30 except that train died or something and we had to wait until TWELVE THIRTY. But I got a milkshake from Burger King in the train station except the cashier was all snotty like, "sure you don't want a coke? Now I gotta get the cookies all up in there and they have me pressing all these buttons and I don't even know what I'm doing... nah you can have a coke." it was a little weird.

man, I am all over the place. We chug a chug into Frankfurt for the night, to use as a type of pitstop before heading on the ROMANTIC ROAD! so cute. This entire time in Germany has been a bit of an eye-opener, I suppose. Everything I know about Germany is heavily weighted by the Second World War and everything associated with it. I never considered the destruction that hit Germany from Allied bombing, and things from their perspective I suppose. but here we are in Frankfurt, which was almost completely destroyed by the bombing, so all the buildings are modern skyscrapers. It's just strange to think about it from the German perspective. And yet, Frankfurt wasn't as bad as I supposed. We really just got dinner before relaxing in the hotel (!) room, but we did meet someone from Boston who followed his dream to scoop ice cream all the way to Frankfurt. I seriously have ice cream WAY more in Europe than I do in the states. It's amazing and a little disgusting.

The next day we head down to Wurzburg, which is a town on the Romantic Road that was also heavily destroyed during WWII, to the point that it was almost not rebuilt... it was only after a protest from the citizens (the few who were left) that the town was rebuilt. And it was so adorable! We stayed in a REALLY cute pension with an adorable family running it, and we had our own room, and bonus it was right across from the train station - excellent for lazy bums such as ourselves. We scamper over to the Residenz, a GORGEOUS palace to the east of the city, where the princebishop lived. Blah blah history, gorgeous building -- the point is Molly thought the chandeliers were TACKY. Can you believe that? RU. Also more importantly, there was an amazing fresco from the 1700s (possibly) that had all the continents represented.. and apparently America is full of Native Americans, crocodiles, and not much else.

After the Residenz, we head over to the FORTRESS, clearly up on the hill... although we may have unfortunately taken the most roundabout way up the hill, we got to burn some cals, build up our muscle strength, and enjoy gorgeous views of the surrounding vineyards and countryside as we rested about twenty times going up. all worth it at the top though. And we're continuing with our goal to try to climb as many towers/high up things as possible... I am going to be SVELTE! especially as today I officially spent less than ten euro on all three meals. thank you so much. I know I am amazing. Molly is currently CLEANSING, btdubs. In case you cared. today she had an apple, banana, salad, and trout. Oh and some potatoes. I'm so glad I just told you that. 

the next day, we spend a leisurely morning walking around town, taking an Irish bath of course (which consisted of us going to the perfume aisle of the department store and sampling all the different perfumes, so we didn't have to take an ACTUAL shower), and applying makeup. You have not lived until you have seen Molly's beautiful eye makeup -- blue, purple, green, and orange. Only on one eye. And she kept it on the ENTIRE day, which was especially funny when we met new friends in the next train station and she had to explain why she looked like a crackwhore. 

We then take three (wait... two, sorry) trains to get to ROTHENBURG, the cutest little town this side of the Mississippi. In the Thirty Years War, it was occupied and it never really recovered... it was forgotten for 250 years, then turned into a tourist destination. There aren't ANY new buildings in the city walls, and everything is GEARED towards tourists. I haven't seen that many Americans in one place since America. Regardless, still fun. Especially because in the train station we met a few American students staying in our hostel and became BFFNs with them for the next day.... and of course they thought we were hySTERICAL, which we appreciate. 

Most of the first day, we just wandered around the cobblestone streets, popping into the CHRISTMAS VILLAGE ... this place is Whoville. Largest Christmas shop anywhere in the WORLD (possibly). I almost expect Cindy Lou Who to come along singing "Where are you Chrriiiistmas" while a hairy green man who can contort his face would pop around the corner stealing all the presents. Anyway, blah blah, we walk around, and take a night tour of the city with a man with a lantern and an axe. I will follow ANYONE dressed like that. Next day, more sightseeing, climbing towers, walking on the city wall, sleeping in the park for a while... the usuals. Isn't it fun how easily I run out of steam with these things?

ANYWAY, Next we're moving on to Munich, but I'll write that one out at the end... in the middle of my Munchen adventure now!

No comments:

Post a Comment